Monday, January 25, 2010

Why Home School?

Many people want to know why I have chosen to homeschool my children. Well, there is no ONE answer. More a collection of many reasons. While there are many wonderful schools, both private and public, as well as many wonderful teachers, I have come to realize that my children do not fit into the conventional "mold". Homeschooling has given my children the opportunity to learn "outside the box". While we strive to teach our children morals and values in an immortal world it becomes more difficult upon a daily basis. Homeschooling has given us the freedom to further explore interests and have a deeper learning on many subjects. We do not have bells that signal the end of one subject and the beginning of another. Once we have come to understand and are able to master a lesson then we are able to move on at our own pace, as slowly or quickly as necessary. I can not imagine sending my children to a place for them to learn from strangers where I have no idea where their values or priorities may fall. Nor can I imagine being denied the opportunity to learn daily from my children.
So when does our "school day" begin and when does it end? My children are given the gift of curiosity and are taught to continue to learn through out the day. From asking questions, to learning a new skill, or maybe by reading a book, and many times from not knowing what something means or how to spell it and looking it up in the dictionary. I can not remember how many times we have asked one another a question and had to go to the world wide web to look it up and research it to find the answer. Some people wonder things and leave it at that, we wonder and find out daily. So again I ask, when does our school day begin and when does it end? Well, I hope to learn new things until I take my last breathe. My goal is to have my children also have that unquenchable thirst for knowledge as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog